Pandan burnt basque cheesecake with creamy and silky smooth texture with pandan flavor is an Asian twist of this delicious cheesecake. The nutty-caramel-like fragrant of pandan and the lush green color give beautiful profile to this already unique cheesecake, making this a delightful baking idea.
Origin of Burnt Basque Cheesecake
Burnt Basque Cheesecake originally comes from La Viña in San Sebastian town in the Basque region of Spain. Chef Santiago was the one who created the cheesecake.
Important Ingredients to Note
Pandan Leaf Extract
This is the ingredient that gives this cheesecake an Asian flair. Use homemade pandan extract or store-bought pandan essence.
Homemade pandan extract is very easy to make. You just need to be patient because it takes a few days to let the extract finally settles.
In addition to the whipping cream, coconut milk adds creamy texture to the cake. Moreover, it blends very well with pandan extract.
Cream cheese is the important ingredient in this cake. Beat or whisk with low speed to avoid the cream cheese from curdling.
Whipping cream give this cheesecake creamy texture. Use full fat dairy whipping cream for best result .
Cornstarch may be added according to your preference. If you want the cheesecake gluten-free, omit this.
Pandan Burnt Basque Cheesecake Recipe
- 250 gr cream cheese
- 75 gr powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 55 gr whipping cream
- 65 gr coconut milk
- 2 tbsp pandan extract
- 10 gr cornstarch
The methods are super easy just like in the original burnt basque cheesecake. As long as you follow the instructions, your cheesecake will be perfect!
- Prepare a 15 cm loose baking pan. If you don’t have a loose baking pan, a regular one is alright, because you can pull out the cake using the parchment paper.
- Line it with a bigger than the pan parchment paper. Press with another baking pan of the same size so the paper is shaped like the baking pan. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven at 220 – 240°C.
- Put cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Leave it at room temperature first so it is easier to mix.
- When it is soft enough, use a hand mixer or a whisk to soften it more.
- Put in powdered sugar and beat with low speed. Add one egg at a time while beating with low speed.
- Pour in whipping cream, coconut milk, and pandan extract. Mix well.
- Sieve the cornstarch. This is optional. If you want to have a gluten-free cake, omit the cornstarch. Or you can also reduce the cornstarch to half if you want a creamier cheesecake.
- Mix the cornstarch well. Sieve the batter with a strainer into the baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes. Please watch the top part. When it is charred enough, you can take it out o the oven. The baking time should be around 35 minutes.
- Take out from the oven. This time you will see the cake rises to the top and a little bit jiggly. It should be okay.
Cooling Down Overnight
- Let it cool down. When it has cooled down, the cake will deflate. Transfer to the chiller and let it cool in the fridge for minimum of 2 hours or even better overnight.
- The next day, take out the cake from the pan. Peel off the parchment paper. Serve on a plate.
- Cut one slice and enjoy!
This cheesecake is best served within 3 days. Store the cake in a closed container in the chiller. The cake is best served chilled.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
These are most of the questions asked by my friends when I shared this recipe burnt basque cheesecake recipe. If you have any questions that are not on the list, please write in the comment below. I will surely answer right away!
I hope these questions help you in the kitchen.
Q: Can I use pandan essence if I don’t have pandan extract?
A: Yes, you can. If you don’t have pandan extract, you can use store-bought pandan essence.
Q: Can I make this cake gluten-free?
A: Absolutely! Just omit the cornstarch and you will have a gluten-free cheesecake.
Q: Can I prepare the cake in advance?
A: Yes, you can. Prepare the cheesecake a day ahead and put it in a closed container in the fridge. Serve the cake chilled.
Let’s get baking!
This is a super easy cheesecake to make at home. The method used is just blending all the ingredients together. It is a no-fail recipe!
If you tried this recipe and liked it, please leave a comment down below or tag me on my Instagram! I’d love to hear from you!